- Location: Malawi, Africa
- Advanced stage rare earth project
- 2019 resource update – 60% increase in Measured & Indicated Resources
- Malawi – stable jurisdiction with major infrastructure developments
- Sustainable development and CSR – integral to Mkango’s vision
- Supportive government
Mkango Development Project - Songwe Hill
The Songwe Hill project is located in a stable jurisdiction with major infrastructure already in place. The project is approximately 70km from the former capital Zomba and approximately 90km from the commercial centre of Blantyre, which has an international airport and a railhead. Paved roads run from the urban centres to within 12km of Songwe Hill. Secondary gravel and dirt roads provide vehicle access to the exploration camp, with recently upgraded bridges capable of taking 20-tonne trucks.
Songwe Hill Rare Earths Deposit
- Carbonatite hosted rare earth mineralisation
- Updated resource estimate announced February 2019
- 60% increase in Measured & Indicated Resources
- 95% of Measured & Indicated Resources <160m from surface – majority accessible by open pit mining
- Broad mineralised zones as opposed to dykes or veins
- Synchysite dominated rare earth mineralogy
Mkango Exploration Projects
Thambani U-Ta-Nb project
- Licence area of 137km2 in Mwanza and Chikwawa districts in southwestern Malawi
- Uranium, tantalum and niobium hosted in nepheline syenite gneiss and associated veins
- Potential for U-Ta-Nb mineralisation along a strike length of >3km revealed by airborne and ground radiometric surveys and surface sampling
- Tete–Nacala railway traverses the licence
Chimimbe Hill Ni-Co project
- Licence area of 98km2 in the Mchinji district of central-western Malawi
- Serpentinite rock and associated laterite containing elevated nickel, chromium and cobalt values
- Magnetic anomaly extends from Chimimbe Hill beneath surface to unexplored ground
- Close to major roads, railway to Nacala, grid power and water
- Licence area of 870 km2 in the Mchinji District of central-west Malawi
- Gold and graphite deposits to the south and east of the licence
- Nickel-cobalt deposit in Mkango ground immediately south of the licence
- Airborne magnetic and radiometric surveys reveal several exploration targets
- Excellent access to infrastructure
Listed on TSX-V exchange.
Maiden Indicated and Inferred Mineral Resource estimate at Songwe Hill.
Listed on London AIM exchange.
Agreement with Talaxis to fund development of Songwe Hill and commercialisation of new magnet technologies.
£6 Million (C$10.5 Million) Talaxis investment for Songwe Hill Feasibility Study.
60% increase in Measured and Indicated Resources at Songwe Hill.